Stilton, Tomato & Courgette Quiche
- Ready In:
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 25 g lard, cut into small cubes (or white vegetable fat)
- 40 g butter, cut into small cubes (or hard margarine)
- 25 g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 courgette, trimmed and sliced
- 125 g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 200 ml creme fraiche
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F?Gas mark 5. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the 25g lard and 40 g butter and mix lightly. Using the fingertips rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water into the mixture and with a knife, start bringing the dough together. (if may be necessary to use the hands for the final stage) If the dough does not form a ball instantly, add a little more water.
- Put the pastry in a polythene bag and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and use to line an 18 cm flan tin, trimming any excess pastry with a knife.
- Prick the base all over with a fork and bake blind in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and brush with a little of the beaten egg. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Heat the 25 g butter in a frying pan and gently fry the onion and courgette for about 4 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Transfer into the pastry case.
- Sprinkle the stilton over evenly and top with the halved cherry tomatoes. Beat together the eggs and creme fraiche and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the filling into the pasty case and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is golden brown and set in the centre. Serve the quiche hot or cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!