Dainty Egg and Chive Tea Sandwiches for Tea-Time
photo by Diana Yen
- Ready In:
4 Rounds Sandwiches
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon salad cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 8 slices thin sliced brown bread
- butter, softened, for spreading
- salt and pepper
- Place the eggs in a small pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and run the eggs under cold water until cool.
- Peel and then coarsely grate or crumble the eggs into a bowl. Mix with the salad cream, mayonnaise and chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut off the bread crusts with a serrated knife - put them to one side for home-made breadcrumbs.
- Butter the bread and divide the egg mixture between 4 bread slices. Top with the remaining bread. Stack 2 sandwiches together and cut into 3 fingers, then serve.
- Cook's tips: Pierce the rounded end of each egg with a pin before cooking to help stop the shell from cracking.
- Cooling the eggs under cold water stops them from cooking further and prevents a dark ring forming around the yolk.
- For easy peeling, peel the eggs under cold running water over a colander to collect all the bits of shell. The water stops the shell from sticking to your fingers and the egg.
My 4yr old niece and I had a lunch date over the weekend. So along with 2 of her favorite teddy bears, we had a lovely tea party! Delicious sandwiches FT! I love the addition of salad cream - not usual fair in American egg salad, but we both really enjoyed it! Made for *Everyday is a Holiday Tag - Thank you to FT*