Crunchy Breakfast Cake
photo by vrvrvr
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Mix the dry topping ingredients together.
- Then chop the butter into little pieces and mash into mixture with a fork or your hands until crumbly.
- Mix the dry cake ingredients together.
- In a seperate bowl beat the eggs and sour cream.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour evenly into a greased 9x9 inch pan and sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I printed this recipe five years ago and was just flipping through my cook book before a friend came over for coffee and decided to give it a try. I wish I hadn't waited! It was very flavorful and moist and was a hit with the kids too. I didn't have a 9x9 pan, so I used a pie pan. I also added some vanilla (coffee cake just seemed like it should have vanilla) and it turned out wonderfully. Great recipe!
We thought this cake was terrific. Some of us found it too rich and sweet just out of the oven, so it would be advised to cut small pieces. The sweetness mellowed after a day and, while the topping was less crunchy, the overall taste was more appealing. I reduced the amount of sugar in the topping to 1/2 c. Great little cake that goes together without much fuss, and tastes wonderful with a fresh cup of coffee!