Creamed Potato and Pumpkin Soup
This is a delicious version of potato and pumpkin soup. I use Kent (jap) pumpkin which is slightly sweeter than most. It is a hearty soup which can be eaten as a main meal particularly during winter; serve it with warm crusty bread. In fact I only make it during autumn and winter. I use a Bamix to puree the soup in the pot which saves having to scoop it into a blender or food processor.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 12 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- freshly chopped coriander (cilantro) or parsley (to garnish)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté onions and garlic very gently until soft but not browned.
- Add pumpkin and potatoes and cook for a few minutes, then add tomato paste, stock, seasonings, lemon juice and allspice and bring to boil.
- Cover pan and simmer gently for about 40 minutes or until very tender.
- Puree in a blender or food processor and return to a clean pan.
- Add milk and bring back to boil, whisking continuously. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasonings and stir in sour cream.
- Reheat and serve sprinkled generously with coriander or parsley.
- Without the addition of cream this soup may be frozen for up to 3 months.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Everyone loved this! I initially started to make potato soup, so had already added a chopped a shallot, a stalk of celery and about 4 minced garlic cloves to chicken broth along with the diced red potatoes. As that simmered I discovered this recipe. So I proceeded, using a immersible blender to puree the veggies and then stirred in a 20 oz. can of pumpkin puree along with the rest of the recipe ingredients. Served with blackened mahi sandwiches. Very filling and flavorful! Definite make-again.
A very lovely soup, I had to make little changes because Little Miss (DD) is lactose intolerant and I just ran out of lactose free milk so I left out the milk and sour cream. However this didn't take away how delicious this soup was, we really enjoy the thickness and the flavours all combined well together. Thank you very much Janette's kitchen for your post