Corn and Beans and Bacon and Tomatoes
About as southern as it gets - lots of veggies with a layer of bacon. I suppose, in the interest of healthy eating, one could use turkey bacon. But that seems like blasphemy to me ...
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole-kernel white corn, drained
- 1 (17 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 6 -8 slices bacon (more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat an 11-inch by 7-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add onion & bell pepper. Saute till tender.
- Mix the onion/pepper mixture with corn, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes & Worcestershire sauce. Taste and add salt & pepper if needed.
- Pour it all in the casserole dish and cover the top with a layer of bacon.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes, remove cover and bake 10 minutes more or until bacon crisps up.
*** To make using fresh vegetables:
- Cover the BOTTOM of the dish with the bacon then layer with fresh lima beans, fresh sliced tomatoes, chopped onion and green pepper, fresh white corn (cut off cob, of course), another layer of sliced tomatoes and another layer of bacon on top. Bake as above.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Surprisingly good! I wasn't sure what to expect with canned lima beans, never having used them before, but the dish itself was really delicious. The next time I make this for the family I'll only use half the green pepper as we thought it came through a little strong in this dish. I'm so glad I tried this one. TFS!Reply