Coconut Rice (Nigerian Style)
photo by Elly in Canada
- Ready In:
- Boil the rice in water for about 10-15 minutes (enough were it's not too soft -- because we will be cooking it some more).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a cooking pot.
- Add the onions and stir with black pepper for one minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, habaneros, and coconut milk with the sea salt and cover to cook for about 7 minutes (or when the mixture comes to a boil).
- Add the rice and stir and cover for about 7 minutes (or when the rice is almost dry).
- Add the green peppers and let simmer until the rice has absorbed all the juices.
- *note feel free to add more salt and pepper to your taste.
I selected Nigerian recipes and enjoyed the adventure! I did not have any habanero peppers, I used cayenne pepper and a diced red pepper. I added a small can of tomatoes, but did not add all the juice as I thought it would be too much liquid with the coconut milk for the one cup of rice, since it was partially cooked already, it worked out to my liking! This is a mild flavoured rice, except for the heat from the pepper, I added some grated fresh ginger which I think added an extra little bite too. Served with recipe#309911 to create a tasty dinner! Prepared for the New African Recipe Tag Game March/2012...