My grandfather was an excellent baker and would make this recipe on special occasions. He received this recipe from his mother. He passed away 3 years ago at the age of 97. Enjoy this simply wonderful cherry dessert. Best if served warm.
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sour pitted cherries, found in the canned fruit section at grocery stores (Drained, save juice)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup cherry juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the shortening, sugar, egg and milk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add the cherries and pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- For the cherry sauce, mix together the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup of boiling water and cherry juice.
- Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract.
- To serve, slice the cherry cake and spoon the cherry sauce over individual slices.
- Serve warm.