Cheesy Carrot Casserole
Great for a somewhat different carrot side dish. I love carrots and cheese together.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb carrot, sliced (I sometimes use sliced baby carrots)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup crushed baked cheese crackers, DIVIDED (I use Cheese Nips four cheese flavor)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- In a saucepan, cook sliced carrots in water until tender (about 10 minutes, depending on the sizes of your carrots). Drain carrots and place them into a casserole dish.
- In the saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add in onion. Add evaporated milk, cheese, thyme, tarragon, salt, and white pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of the crushed cheese-flavored crackers. Pour over carrots in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup crushed cheese-flavored crackers and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I liked this a lot, but it was very rich. Maybe that was because I used white chedder Cheese Nips. I also thought the sauce overpowered the carrots, so next time I may cut the sauce in half. Also, although I like tarragon, it too overpowered the carrots. Perhaps, half of that would be better too. With these modifications, I will probably make this often.Reply
see 3 more