Cheddar Cheese Popovers
photo by Khatuna K.
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Generously butter 6 cups in a popover pan or 6 six ounce custard cups.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well with mixer.
- At low speed add milk.
- Add flour and salt and beat until smooth.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Fill cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Top with cheese and pour in remaining batter.
- Bake 50 minutes or until puffed and deep golden brown.
- Let pans cool 1 minute and then loosen with a knife.
- Serve with hot with butter and fresh fruit.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a GREAT recipe, thank you very much for sharing. I love popovers, and this is the only recipe I've found that allows the addition of cheese and then actually "pops over". I added about 1/2 tsp melted butter to each of my 6 non-stick popover cups, and I used about 1 tsp of smoked cheddar in each. They were delicious! Tip - promptly remove the popovers from the pan after baking, to avoid moisture building up in the pan, causing your popovers to get soggy - then poke a hole in each one to release the steam. The popovers will be crisp on the outside and moist (but not wet) on the inside. Perfection!
Impressive, yummy treats! I would've never guessed how easy these are to make and yet look so elegant. I took some shortcuts and also skinnied mine up some, and they still turned out luscious. First, I used my blender to mix the ingredients, and baked them in my jumbo muffin pan since I don't have a popover pan. I used skim milk, Smart Balance Light margarine and reduced fat cheddar cheese. Put these on your table and watch your guests' jaws drop! Thanks Smurfetta!
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In my world a recipe is a guideline to cooking and can be altered to suit one's taste. I collect cookbooks for a hobby and have made at least one recipe from each one. And i am not that other Smurf.