Bacon Cheddar Popovers
photo by TasteTester
- Ready In:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 scallions, trimmed & chopped (I subbed with minced sweet onions)
- 1. Coat 8 cups of a popover/muffin pan with non-stick spray. Be sure to fill empty cups with water to avoid burning pan. Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- 2. Whisk flour and salt together in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add to the flour mixture and stir until blended. Fold in cheese, bacon and scallion.
- 3. Fill popover/muffin cups 3/4 full (approx. 1/3 cup batter in each). Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned and puffed. ***Keep oven closed until the end of baking time or else the popovers will deflate.***.
- 4. Remove popovers from the oven. Immediately remove popovers from pan to cool. Pierce sides once with a knife to release steam.
- 5. Serve warm. (Re-heat at 350° for 5 minutes to crisp the outside edges, if needed.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were a delicious change from our standard "plain" popovers. I loved the cheddar cheese flavor and the scallions. Even though I'm a bacon addict, the pieces I crumbled seemed a little big and gave the soft, gooey interior a bit of crunch. I don't prefer that in a popover, so next time I'm going to crumble up the bacon very finely before adding it. And I might just add in the tiniest pinch of cayenne pepper. Thanks for posting this great variation of a traditional popover recipe!