photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add the butter to flour mixture and crumble together until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Add the grated cheese and give it a good mix.
- Add in buttermilk and stir only until combined. Do not stir too much or it will make the biscuits too tough.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough by hand or by rolling pin until about 1/2-inch-thick cut with 3-inch cutter. Keep reforming the dough (don't overwork) until it is all used.
- Place biscuits on a parchment-covered baking tray. Bake for about 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush them with the melted butter. Keep warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Affable Canadian chef Chuck Hughes is a restaurateur and television personality known for his inventive take on comfort food, which he shares on his show, Chuck's Day Off.