Cauliflower/Broccoli/Bell Pepper Crock Pot Soup
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green)
- 4 green onions
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- curry (yellow)
- 1 1⁄2 cups your favorite cheese (3 different kinds)
- 4 cups water or 4 cups stock
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Break cauliflower and broccoli into florets or cut them up and place in bottom of crock pot. Add carrots to this.
- Dice bell peppers, onion, and garlic add to crock pot.
- Add 4 cups water, 4 chicken bouillon cubes,.
- salt,pepper, curry, turmeric for color and flavor about 1 tsp each to start with.
- Cook on High 6-8 hours.
- 1 hour before serving-remove 2 cups of broth from the vegetables.
- Put in medium saucepan,put on high heat, when it begins to boil. add 4 tbsp cornstarch to cold water and whisk into broth mixture (mix cornstarch and water in a small glass or jar and then add to the broth).
- Grate your favorite types of cheese, I use about 1/2 cup of each kind and add it to hot broth mixture. When it has melted all of the cheese and it is a thick consistency, pour it all back into the crock pot. Let simmer for another hours. I have added crumbled bacon and I have also used diced ham. Serve with oyster crackers, or crusty bread or rolls. Awesome winter meal! Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
This was a quick and tasty soup. Very tasty way to get kids to eat veggies. I added 1 cup of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of mexican blend cheese. Turned out very well! I also didn't have any turmeric so I used a bit of original mrs dash. I also subbed a can of 2% evaporated milk to cut down on calories even more. This is definately a keeper, thanks so much for posting!
Wow, great soup! I omitted the corn starch and milk, and simply sprinkled cheese on top of each individual serving (I used soft goat cheese). I also used one yellow onion instead of the red and green onion. It has a great spice and lots of veggies. Next time I'll add an ear or two of corn kernals. I was unsure if 4 cups of broth would be enough, but after a few hours of cooking in the crock pot, the other veggies released their juices. Still not a lot of liquid, but I like more veggies and less broth.
Really good recipe. It was very flavorful and while I was apprehensive about the tumeric it didn't overwhelm the soup. I added cubed up potatoes and substituted veggie bullion for the chicken. I skipped the the last steps and just added a cube of light cream cheese. It was plenty creamy! I also only used diced yellow onion, not the green.
This soup has an excellent flavor and I love the quantity of vegetables it contains. However, for some reason it seemed like it needed more liquid so I ended up adding an extra cup of water and I used an entire cup of cream. I wasn't sure when to add the cream so I added it to the stuff you boil separately at the end. I also throw it in the blender after cooking. The smell of the veggies cooking was not very pleasant in my opinion so we were pleasantly surprised by the end product. Turmeric = palillo
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, can, bake, garden, grow herbs and go to any orchard or farmer's market I can find. Raised in the Great Pacific Northwest, apples, wine, asparagus,pears, nectarines, berries, plenty of wild game and fish. I was raised on a cattle ranch, so I learned from a young age what it was to be "self-sufficient". !