Caribbean Rice and Black Bean Salad
If you like some spice then add in some cayenne pepper. You can make this hours in advance and chill, and the complete recipe can be doubled to 5 cups cooked rice. Prep time does not include cooking the rice.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (no more than 1 teaspoon or less of fresh garlic, as it will be too overpowering!)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain rice (room temperature or cold, about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can canned corn niblets, well drained
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped (can use more or less)
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, Dijon, cumin and garlic until well blended; season with salt and pepper to taste, add in some sugar if you find that the dressing is too strong.
- In a medium bowl combine the cooled or cold cooked rice, black beans, corn niblets, bell peppers and green onions.
- Add in enough dressing to moisten; toss to combine (you don't have to use the full amount of dressing).
- Season once again with salt and pepper (or cayenne pepper).
- Can be made hours ahead, cover and chill.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
First off, my reading skills were not the greatest. The review that said they liked it hot, I immediately thought it could be a cold salad or a hot rice dish.. Needless to say, it was tried both ways.. To be honest, I like the hot version I mistakenly created..I therefore believe, it could be enjoyed in the summer as a cold salad, or in the winter as a heated rice dish.. Great both ways.. Thanking you Kittencal for the idea... Cat^..^atude...........