New Mexico Corn and Black Bean Salad
Fresh and perfect for summer. Eat it with some burger and you have a complete meal! You can adjust the spices if it has too much heat for you.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups corn (2 ears)
- 1 3⁄4 cups black beans (14oz can)
- 3 ounces smoked green hatch chiles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Mix the olive oil,lemon juice,chile powder,oregano,cumin,and cayenne in the bottom of a large bowl. Wisk till it is well combined.
- Wrap ears of corn in seran wrap and microwave for 4-5 min until in is cooked partially.Let cool.
- Open can of beans and drain under cold water with a strainer.
- Cut corn kernels off cobs and add to bowl with oil and spices. Add drained beans also.
- Take green chiles (you can buy them canned if you don't have fresh) and remove charred outside. Cut off stem and them chop into 1/4 inch pieces. Add to bowl.
- Toss all ingredients together and then add chopped cilantro and green onions. Mix gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a great salad. I was able to use our amazing local corn for which people come from all over New Mexico. NM is known for its chiles. I added a bit extra of the fire roasted green chiles and used authentic New Mexico red chile powder. I didn't have enough lemon juice, so I supplemented the remainder with lime juice. I think next time I'll use just the lime juice as that is what is used in more Mexican dishes. I wanted some extra color and taste, so I added red bell peppers (unroasted) and added avocado just prior to serving. I took the salad to a church potluck and got rave reviews.Reply