Cajun Style Country Fried Pork Steaks
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) pork cube steaks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- oil (for frying)
- In a shallow bowl combine one cup flour and all seasonings.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk and evaporated milk. Set aside 1 3/4 cups of milk mixture for gravy.
- Dip meat into flour mixture, then in milk mixture, and then back into flour.
- Repeat step 3 for the rest of meat.
- Heat oil in skillet until hot but not smoking.
- Cook meat until lightly browned on each side, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Drain oil from pan, saving about 1/3. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Whip in remaining buttermilk mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve over meat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for my family last night and we LOVED it. We are big fans of chicken fried steaks but this is a step up from them. The spices in this really does put them over the top for us. I had never made a buttermilk gravy before so I was a little leary about trying it.......never again, it too was great, yummy. I served this with recipe#66315 and recipe#177558 and recipe#29765 for a terrific meal. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us, its a keeper for sure.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Even though I haven't been here for a long time, MY recipes aren't up for adoption. :) And don't change any of them either. ;)