Cabbage Rolls With Mushroom Sauce
Recipe form RusCuisine.com
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 7 ounces ground beef or 7 ounces veal
- 7 ounces ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole head cabbage
- boiling water
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups stock
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Stew chopped onion and garlic in butter in a large skillet for 3-5 minutes Add rice, meat, salt, and pepper. Stir just to mix well. Remove from heat. Remove core from cabbage. Place whole head in a large kettle filled with boiling water. Cover and cook for 3 minutes Remove softened outer leaves.
- Take out all large leaves Cut thick centre stem from each leaf. Take one large cabbage leaf at a time,put 1 rounded tablespoonful of meat mixture in centre of a leaf. Roll leaves, covering stuffing from sides like an envelope. Put stuffed cabbage leaves with seam down close to each other on a frying pan.
- Do not make more than 2 layers. Combine beef broth and mushroom soup; Pour over cabbage rolls. Bake in a well heated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These were a nice alternative to the stuffed cabbage rolls with tomato sauce that I am used to. The prep time is quite a bit more than 10 minutes, though! It takes a while to remove the stems from the leaves, etc. I also didn't know at what temperature to cook these at, so I just went with 350 degrees. After 1-1/2 hours, most of the sauce had evaporated. However, they were very tasty, although I found them just a tad salty (probably should have used low-sodium broth). But, like I said, a nice alternative. Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.Reply