Burnt Orange Autumn Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, diced, about 2 lbs
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks, about 1/2 lb
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- Cut top quarter off the head of garlic and place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or sprayed with cooking spray).
- Combine onion, squash, sweet potato and carrots in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, thyme and salt.
- Spread on baking sheet with garlic.
- Roast garlic and vegetables in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes until very tender.
- Squeeze garlic into food processor and add roasted vegetables. Puree mixture adding a bit of stock, if necessary.
- Transfer to saucepan and add stock to desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently 10 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve in large soup bowls with a splash of yogurt on top, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a really nice soup for a rainy day. It needed extra broth, and I added some sage ad a pinch of nutmeg and ginger, and it was lovely. I can't have dairy, so I stirred a lump of soy cream cheese into the finished soup and it was a very nice touch. It needed quite a bit of salt. We had this with homemade artisan bread and it was perfect.
I took the butternut squash cut it length ways into 3 even slices removing the seeds. Place on a tray with a 1/4 inch of water, spray top of squash with light oil. Place in oven at 425 F for 1hr to roast. Dice the onion and garlic, and sauté in large soup pan until soft. Peel carrots then shred them. Add to the garlic and sauté until soft. Stir in the broth, add the seasoning. Take the cooked butternut squash scoop out the flesh and add to the soup pan, bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins. Carefully place the ingredients into a food processor or liquidizier until smooth. Return soup back to pan bring back to boil, add milk and simmer. Do not boil. Serve with crusty bread.