- Ready In:
- 1hr 18mins
- Cream half the sugar and yeast in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes in a warm place.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl with remaining sugar.
- Melt butter, warm the milk and egg.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast, eggs, milk and butter.
- Work the mix until all are combined evenly.
- Pat into a round. Cover with damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place.
- Turn onto a floured board and pull off 1.75 oz pieces and roll into balls.
- Leave balls for 10-15 minutes.
- Flatten balls with your hand.
- Brush rounds with lightly beaten egg whites and place a spoonful of jam in the middle and seal.
- Place on a tray and cover with tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise again.
- Deep fry a few at a time in hot oil until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper and dust with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!