Basmati Rice Pilaf
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup currants or 1/3 cup dried tart cherry, chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a medium saucepan cook onions and almonds over medium heat in hot butter or margarine about 5 minutes or until onions are tender and almonds are golden.
- Stir in uncooked rice; cook and stir for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, currants or dried cherries, orange peel, cinnamon, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Carefully stir on chicken broth and water.
- Bring to boiling point; reduce heat; simmer covered about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in N.Y. to Italian parents in the 50s my father owned an Italian restaurant. I moved to ca in the 70s and started cooking professionally in the late 70s