Awesome and Simple Italian Garlicky Meatloaf
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons grated dry parmesan cheese (Romano is a good choice, also)
- 5 tablespoons minced parsley (I use dried to save effort)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef (not too lean)
- 2 eggs
- ketchup, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a large loaf pan.
- Mix 1/2 cup bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper, reserving the remaining bread crumbs to use as necessary.
- Add the meat and use a fork to mix the ingredients uniformly.
- Add the eggs and knead it with your hands until a "dough" ball forms, it should hold its shape and not be too dry and crumbly (add some water) or too sticky sloppy (add more bread crumbs).
- Mold the meat mixture into the loaf pan and top with a layer of ketchup as desired.
- Bake for 70 minutes. Slices best when cooled and tastes even better reheated as leftovers!
- For OAMC: Slice cooled loaf and flash freeze slices on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, store in a freezer bag or container. To reheat: remove as many slices as necessary and reheat in microwave.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made your recipe last night and we absolutely loved it!!! Follow instructions exactly, except added 3 things.. grated about 1/4 cup onion, stuffed with 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, and lastly used the sauce from recipie "Yes Virginia there is a great meatloaf" Excellent results! Thanks for sharing!
This recipe generally tasted good, but it came out very dry. I think the cook time may have been too long. Perhaps it was because I didn't cook it in a loaf pan, but a dutch oven instead? I'll give one more star than I normally would because I'm giving the recipe the benefit of the doubt. Also, the ketchup definitely did not go with it.
This title of this recipe pretty much says it all! We used ground turkey instead of beef and chili sauce instead of ketchup, and halved the recipe (there's only 2 of us). Other than those changes, I followed the recipe exactly. It was delicious right out of the over, but it DOES get better over time (had the leftovers for lunch today!). With my changes, I calculated this recipe to 3 WW points/serving with 8 servings. Thanks for sharing, we will definitely be making this again!
Excellent taste and just a little different than regular meatloaf. We love garlic and the cheese flavor was a nice addition. I used a mixture of dried parsley, basil and oregano as I don't care too much for parsley. I followed another reviewer and use chili sauce instead of ketchup. This is a very nice recipe. Carole in Orlando