Apple Bread Pudding (Diabetic)
photo by dizzydi
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Preheat oven to 160 degree celsius (140 degrees for fan forced).
- Grease deep 1.5 litre (6 cup ovenproof dish).
- Peel, core and quarter apples, cut each quarter into 3mm slices.
- Dissolve brown sugar in the water in medium frying pan over low heat, add apples; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine milk and vanilla bean in medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat; stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Discard vanilla bean.
- Meanwhile (while milk stands) cut bread slices into quarters.
- Arrange bread and apple in alternate layers (finishing with bread) in dish.
- Whisk eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Pour egg mixture carefully over bread and apple.
- Place dish in a large baking dish; add enough boiling water to baking dish to come halfway up side of pudding dish.
- Bake uncovered about 1 hour or until set.
- Serve with low fat ice cream or cream, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was dessert tonight. I used a 1/2 TBS of Splenda Brown Sugar and 2 TBS of regular Splenda. To be honest I added 1/2 a tsp of vanilla extract to the milk after removing the vanilla bean as I felt that it really didn't impart very much flavor which was a disappointment. Loved the use of fruit bread here. I made it yesterday and rewarmed it tonight (these puddings are always better the next day) and served it with Recipe #200027. My guests, two of whom are diabetic, loved it.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the demise of the forums and with no more interaction on site with what was a great community and it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you over the years and to have had the privilege of meeting some of you in person. For me now this is just another recipe site like to many on the net, it has lost its specialness, such a pity especially when Scripps changed the name from Recipezaar to Food.com and made this statement sorry cannot replicate here as considered invalid but they basically said yes the community was valuable hence .com was short for community but it was a pack of lies as they were not willing to put the money into that community and got rid of the forums which was the community so for .com has become .crap.