Alethea's Hatch Chile Verde
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken or 1 1/2 lbs pork, boneless and diced to cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green chili sauce
- 2 cups tomatillos, husks removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 roasted hatch green chilies, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups water
- Brown the chicken or pork in a small amount of lard or oil, over high heat.
- Place the browned chicken or pork, chile sauce and tomatillos into a crock pot set on low, or a large, covered pot over low heat.
- Simmer for 2 hours. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours.
- Check every 30 minutes and add water as necessary.
- Omit the sugar for a low-carb version.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Love food and cooking!