5 Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Decadent! Everyone raves about this dish. So cheesey and full of flavor. Good southern comfort food. Wonderful with pork chops or fried chicken. Originally I got the base of this recipe from Nell Carter on some TV show. I had to spice it up a bit.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Cook 2 cups macaroni noodles in salted boiling water for only about 6 minutes > do not over cook as they will continue to cook in the oven.
- While noodles are cooking: mix eggs, milk, cream cheese, melted butter and spices together in large mixing bowl.
- Drain noodles.
- Add noodles and all the shredded cheese to egg mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wonderful recipe and Kate Plate is correct; it is completely flexible as far as type of cheeses and adjustment... I substituted goat cheese for swiss and did one additional cup of cheddar instead of the Muenster. Also, an AWESOME addition: I heated three tablespoons of butter in a pan, and added 3/4 cup breadcrumbs along with 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, and four minced garlic gloves until all were nicely browned. I sprinkled the crumb combo over the mac 'n cheese before baking. The nice crunch and garlic made a good recipe great. After it was prepared and on the table, I drizzled a little bit of truffle oil over it - WOW. DELISH... Heads up; I made this for my boyfriend and myself and it was WAY more than enough - really does fill a 9 x 13. With a side, this could probably feed four with everyone having seconds. Keeping this one!Reply
Oh yes! I prefer the custard style Mac and Cheese. This really hit the spot. All I had was hot pepper monteray jack so I used this in place of the munster. I use swiss and extra sharp cheddar alone with a bag of mixed melting cheese. This was very good. I had it for the main dish instead of a side. Too good to just be a side.Reply
THANK YOU! Finally, a delicious mac and cheese recipe with good spice. I've been trying out different recipes and I think my boyfriend was about to ban me from trying anymore because there was either too much pepper, it was too bland or just plain bad ... but this recipe ... FINALLY! I did it! I made a delicious mac and cheese that he loves. I've made it three times in the last month and a half. I'm hooked. The only tiny change I made was a little more garlic powder because we like it, but otherwise, perfect just the way it is.Reply