Recipe by Rita~
A canned recipe using summer squash spicing and sweetening it with love. Top a hot dog, burger, fried fish with this. Or add to mayonnaise for an easy tartar sauce. 8/2011 added garlic and used just red bell peppers.
- 8 cups diced zucchini, seeded removed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard, seed
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 drops green food coloring, next batch i won (I found I like the color as is from the turmeric no green added)
- pickling lime, Calcium chloride I used Pickling crisp granules
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large glass bowl place zucchini, peppers, onion. Stir in salt and top with cold water. Cover and chill 8 hour or over night.
- Rinse and drain very well.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil and the simmer for 5 minutes stirring to be sure all sugar is dissolved.
- Add in the zucchini mix and bring back to a boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/8 teaspoon per jar of pickling crisp granules if using into hot sterilized jars, no need to mix into the veggies.
- Spoon relish into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims and adjust lids and bands. Place in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove to cool out of draft for 12 hours. Check for sealing. Store for 1 year out of light and heat. Give as gifts.