Recipe by Bergy
A little different with a bread crumb crust instead of the usual pie crust. Easy to make.
Top Review by Tinks
Bergy, thank you so much! I was looking for one that did not use too much flour or Bisquick (no offense to the Bisquick company!) I wondered if the bread crumbs would stick as they should...worked out perfectly. The romano cheese worked very well, as did the touch of nutmeg. I may add a bit of stronger cheese next time, but that may mess it up, as it was wonderful the way it was. Thank you so much...I had a semi-healthy lunch for three days (It does re-heat very well)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 medium zucchini, thin sliced, drained on paper towel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate and press the crumbs into it to make a crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees.
- Sauté the zucchini in the olive oil for 3 minutes; remove and drain again on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, melt margarine.
- Add flour; stir well.
- Add milk slowly stirring all the time.
- Cook until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese, egg and salt and pepper.
- Gently mix in the zucchini.
- Ladle into the bread crumb crust.
- Bake in 350°F degree oven for 35 minutes.