Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this in an old cookbook- Food Editors' Favorites, Treasured Recipes. Thank heavens, because when zucchini is in season, there's never enough recipes to use it all! Cooking time includes chilling overnight.
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄3 cup bottled Catalina dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- 4 -6 cups fresh salad greens
- Saute garlic in olive oil. Add zucchini and stir-fry until just tender. Discard garlic clove.
- Remove zucchini from pan into a large bowl. Add sugar to pan, then add olives, almonds, vinegar, chili sauce, dressing, and all dry ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring to blend flavors.
- Pour sauce over zucchini; toss lightly. Cover and chill overnight.
- Serve on salad greens.
I served this at a BBQ I had recently. Although I didn't care much for it myself, my guests really enjoyed it!! I liked that it was make ahead. But don't put the zucchini on the lettuce till the last minute, as it is pretty wet and will make your lettuce soggy.
With a few amount adjustments this was wonderful, I used recipe#241296 in place of the Catalina as that is all I had, it seemed to work fine for this, I omitted the almonds, thanks for sharing Kizzi!...Kitten:)
This recipe suprised me; this is a great Zucchini salad.As you said we are always on the lookout for something diiferent to make with zucchini.I recommend this one.I did add red peppers to give it some colour as well as fresh herbs. I made it for the Newest Zaar Tag. Thanks for posting. Rita