Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
We created this recipe ourselves by borrowing from a few different excellent Chicken Salad recipes...in search of the Ultimate Chicken Salad for our tastes. The key ingredients are sour cream and horseradish. If you like horseradish and you like chicken salad, you will like this recipe. (Please allow a few hours for the salad to meld; it changes everything.)
- 3 cups chicken breasts, cooked and diced (poached or baked, we prefer poached because it is moister)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 small onion (finely minced, we prefer a sweeter onion, like Vidalia)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons horseradish, prepared (zing is proportionate to horseradish, so adjust at will)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard, spicy
- 1 tablespoon tarragon (dried, or fresh tarragon to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard and horseradish.
- Stir in chicken, celery, onion, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Allow at least a few hours "meld" time in the refrigerator. It improves the flavor dramatically. * I've counted the minimum meld time as cook time *.
- Serve on greens or use for sandwiches. This zingy salad stands up particularly well to strong flavored breads, like dark pumpernickel.
This is very good chicken salad! I love the flavor of the horseradish, it's strong but not overpowering. I will make this again for sure! Thank you!