Recipe by megs_
I found this recipe in a magazine, in a Philly (cream cheese) ad. I modified it to make it healthier, and was honestly WOW-ed when I tried it - it's that good! Hope it WOW-s you too!
Top Review by Heathen Mama
I made this last night for the kids. I'm sheepishly reporting that I did make it with regular penne, regular cream cheese, and regular sausage. I halved the crushed reds, too. They loved it! I think this recipe could really be adapted, too. I think sauteed peppers, mushrooms and onions would be delicious in this dish.
- 3 cups whole wheat penne, uncooked
- 1 lb reduced-fat pork sausage, Jimmy Dean
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, I use Prego Heart-Smart
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While that cooks, brown sausage in a pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- When sausage is fully cooked, add spaghetti sauce & red chili pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese to sauce, stir well for 2 minutes.
- Drain pasta and mix well with sauce. Top with parmesan, let stand on LOW heat for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.