Basic Philly Cheesecake
photo by limeandspoontt
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Combine crumbs, sugar and melted margarine and press onto the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and raise oven temperature to 450F degrees.
- To make filling, combine softened cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beating at medium speed until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition; blend in vanilla then pour into crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450F, then reduce heat to 250F and for 25-30 minutes more, or until set.
- Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool before removing rim of pan.
- Chill; top individual slices with desired topping, if any, just before serving.
This is a great recipe. I've used one that was slightly smaller but still very similar. I am by no means an accomplished chef and need some more practice on my crusts, as they never seem to stick together as well as I'd like. Also, I've seen some peoples' reviews wishing the filling was a bit fluffier. Here's a quick tip for that with the same recipe: separate the egg yolks and whites. Mix the yolks in when the filling calls for eggs; keep the whites separate til the end, beat the egg whites until stiff, and then fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter. Same great taste, and the custard will come out nice and fluffy.
We took this to a pre-Xmas dinner with family & it was a hit all-round. I've made it a few times, but when i do i scale down the filling to: 2 packs of cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar & 2 eggs. And I have a tip: To prevent the top cracking, leave the cake in the oven to cool with the door slightly open. Thanks for sharing, Lennie. :)
Exactly what I was looking for. A simple cheesecake made with real ingredients! I live alone, so I used 1/3 of all ingredients, added juice of 1/2 lemon plus zest and substituted coconut sugar. It made 6 small cheesecakes in a muffin tin. Baked at 350 for 10 minutes and another 20 minutes after turned down to 250. Put a few fresh blueberries top and it worked well. Now I can have an occasional treat without making a huge amount.