Recipe by JackieOhNo!
I think the name says it all. This makes an elegant soup course for a dinner party or holiday gathering. No one would ever guess how quick and easy it is to make.
Top Review by Annacia
I have to agree with Axe. The slicing and dicing alone takes 20 mins and you have to dice small to get the veggies cooked tender in the allotted cooking time. I trimmed back the fat content by using fat free evaporated milk for the half and half and de-fatted broth. The flavor is lovely. I used Shitake's and they retained a very nice chewiness that was pleasant in the soup. I'll be making this again come Fall and Winter, it's really hearty and filling. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- watercress, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, melt butter. Add mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot. Cook, covered, 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in pepper and flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in broth. Bring to boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and heat through. DO NOT BOIL. Garnish with watercress.