Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I think the name says it all. This makes an elegant soup course for a dinner party or holiday gathering. No one would ever guess how quick and easy it is to make.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- watercress, for garnish
- In saucepan, melt butter. Add mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot. Cook, covered, 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in pepper and flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in broth. Bring to boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and heat through. DO NOT BOIL. Garnish with watercress.
I have to agree with Axe. The slicing and dicing alone takes 20 mins and you have to dice small to get the veggies cooked tender in the allotted cooking time. I trimmed back the fat content by using fat free evaporated milk for the half and half and de-fatted broth. The flavor is lovely. I used Shitake's and they retained a very nice chewiness that was pleasant in the soup. I'll be making this again come Fall and Winter, it's really hearty and filling. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
I'd really love to give this 4.5 stars...The flavor is GREAT for a vegetable chowder, but chopping, slicing and dicing all that stuff was not quick for me. I think maybe next time (because DW made me promise to keep making it) I will use a food processor to speed it up. Thanks for posting!