Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Another good one out of a Weight Watchers cookbook.
- 16 ounces frozen small whole onions, thawed and drained
- 2 lbs top round steaks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked medium egg noodles
- Trim fat from steak and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add steak and saute until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Place in crockpot.
- Put sliced onion and garlic in same unwashed skillet, and coat with cooking spray.
- Saute 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Sprinkle flour on them and cook another minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, wine, and tomato paste, stirring constantly.
- Cook about 1 minute, or until thick.
- Add whole onions, thyme, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Pour into crockpot over beef.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce to low and cook an additional4 1/2 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and serve over egg noodles.
- Serving size is a cup beef mixture and 1/2 cup noodles.
This was a recipe that was just middle of the road for us. We all liked it, just not enough to have again. My family was shocked however when I told them it was a WW recipe, they never would have guessed it.
This was good. I actually just tossed the beef in the flour, then threw everything in the crockpot on low for 6 hours. Worked out great! Thanks for posting.
We really like this recipe. I did throw in 2 handfuls of diced carrots. My DH thought it was a really good stew...so the next night I added a can of corn and green beans and we had stew.