Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
when summer ends my soup cravings appear. this is a nice quick week night version from quick & tasty recipes
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 1⁄2 whole sliced scallions
- 4 cups diced red potatoes, peeled
- 1 can chicken broth (10 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 dash of fresh ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
- spray a dutch oven with cooking spray place over medium heat and add carrots, celery, scallions and saute until softened add potatoes and chicken broth bring to boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until potatoes are soft place flour in a bowl, add milk and blend with a whisk, add to pot season with salt, pepper, nutmeg add white wine cook for a minute to blend flavors.
- remove from heat, add cheeses stirring to melt.
This chowder is wonderful! It's so thick and flavorful! Just the right thing on this cold windy day. And it really didn't take that much time to make, either. I substituted soymilk for the milk, and soy cheeses for the cheese. I also used sweet onions instead of scallions, since I didn't have any. DH suggested next time we add pieces of ham. I loved it just the way it is. Thanks for the great recipe, Chia!
My mom made this for dinner tonight, and I liked it so much I had to rate it myself! It's thick, creamy, and very tasty! I was especially happy because we used to get a potato soup that I absolutely loved, but because it has dairy in it I can't have it anymore. This has a very similar flavor and consistency, so now I've found a wonderful replacement! Thanks for some great comfort food, chia!