Corn and Cheddar Cheese Chowder
photo by averybird
- Ready In:
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water, salted
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed (may substitute cumin powder)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream (may substitute milk or half & half for healthier version)
- 2 ears corn, kernels from (or about 1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned)
- chopped chives
- chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (4 oz.)
- 4 -5 tablespoons dry white wine
- In a large soup pot, place the peeled and diced potato and simmer it in the salted water with the bay leaf, sage, and cumin seeds until just barely tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the chopped onion until tender. Add the flour and mix well with a whisk. Add the cream, stirring with the whisk until the sauce has thickened.
- Pour thickened sauce into the potatoes and their water, adding also the corn, chopped herbs, nutmeg, and salt & pepper. Let the soup simmer gently for about ten minutes.
- Finally, stir in the grated cheese and the white wine and mix well, until the cheese is completely melted.
- Correct the seasoning if desired and serve. :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is really good, and the only regret is that I only made a single batch rather than a double batch as I think it would have been nice to have some left for the next day. The two of us did everything but lick the pot clean. I used unsweetened condensed milk. I think it would have been a bit too rich with a cream for my tastes. I used cooking sherry instead of normal white wine as I didn't feel like opening a bottle for such a small amount. This will be made again for sure because it is so easy and tasty. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2013.