Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an very easy, healthy, and satisfying soup from Patricia Wells, printed in the magazIne, "Food & Wine".
- 3 medium leeks, white parts only, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- fine sea salt
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled whole tomatoes, crushed, juices reserved
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 head garlic, separated into peeled cloves
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup dark green puy lentils
- 1⁄3 cup wheat berries
- fresh ground pepper
- In a 4-quart enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the leeks, carrots, olive oil, bay leaves, thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, the water and garlic and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Add the rice, lentils and wheat berries, cover and simmer over low heat until the grains are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Thin with water if needed. Discard the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper and serve.