Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
- nonstick spray coating
- 3 lbs beef round rump roast, trimmed of fat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Spray an unheated Dutch oven with nonstick coating.
- Preheat over medium heat.
- Add roast and brown on all sides.
- Drain off fat.
- Add the onion, wine, the 1/2 cup water, garlic, bouillon granules, thyme, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Turn roast over; cook, covered, 45 minutes more.
- Add the carrots to the Dutch oven; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add beans; simmer about 10 minutes more until beans and meat are tender.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from pan juices.
- Stir together cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Stir mixture into pan juices.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- To serve, spoon gravy over meat and vegetables.