Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but still surprisingly good especially for a rushed weekday night.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 cup cooked chopped chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat over 325 degrees.
- Cook rice according to directions on package.
- Combine with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- FOR OAMC. Place cooked rice mix and chicken into a 1 gallon freezer bag; freeze.
- Thaw rice and chicken mixture. Remove from bag and place in casserole dish. Stir together mayo and cream of mushroom soup. Spread over chicken and rice mixture. Bake covered in a preheated 325F oven for 1 hour.
Very, very good comfort food, perfect for the middle of November! I substituted mushrooms in place of the water chestnuts (personal preference), and it turned out perfect. Easy enough to make, and definitely worth the effort over the convenience of pre-made versions. This recipe is a keeper for sure.
Great tasting casserole, even if I did use cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom kind! I was tempted to make do with my usual brown rice, but then went whole-hog & bought some of the long & the wild as listed, & am glad I did 'cause it added a nice new dimension to our supper! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #36]
Easy to do and very good to eat! We made a couple of substitutions, leaving out celery and onion and adding green beans and yellow squash; DH thinks it still would be better with the onions, but it was good anyway. Water chestnuts added a gentle soft crunch that was a treat.