Recipe by gailanng
Not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but still surprisingly good especially for a rushed weekday night. Note: Over the years package sizes have decreased. I buy two 4.3 oz packages and weigh out the amount needed.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Great tasting casserole, even if I did use cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom kind! I was tempted to make do with my usual brown rice, but then went whole-hog & bought some of the long & the wild as listed, & am glad I did 'cause it added a nice new dimension to our supper! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #36]
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 cup cooked chopped chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over 325 degrees.
- Cook rice according to directions on package.
- Combine with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- FOR OAMC. Place cooked rice mix and chicken into a 1 gallon freezer bag; freeze.
- Thaw rice and chicken mixture. Remove from bag and place in casserole dish. Stir together mayo and cream of mushroom soup. Spread over chicken and rice mixture. Bake covered in a preheated 325F oven for 1 hour.