Wild Rice Broccoli Chicken Casserole
photo by aylett
- Ready In:
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, cut into pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup white wine worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- Cook rice mix.
- Cook onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in soup, sour cream, and wine.
- Stir in chicken and cooked rice.
- Turn into casserole or baking dish.
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Leftover idea ** Make chicken soup with leftover chicken. Save chicken stock from above recipe. Add 1/3 cup onion, 1 can corn, 1 1/2 cups noodles. Simmer 10 minutes. Add leftover chicken 1-2 cups, heat thoroughly. Season with parsley, salt and pepper.
Oops. Thought I had cream of mushroom soup, ended up having to substitute cream of chicken. No problem however, it tasted great anyway. I highly advise using the white wine worcestershire sauce as it adds great tangy flavor. I used about 10 generous shakes of the bottle. I also added grated parmesean cheese on top during the last 15 minutes of cooking. This is a keeper!
I had leftover roasted chicken and leftover wild rice (from the 2 boxes I made) the night before, so this recipe was perfect. I made this as written. I think the recipe is supposed to read 1/3 cup white wine and on the next line is where the worcestershire (optional) should be listed, so that's how I made it. During the last 10 minutes of baking, I sprinkled the top with shredded parmesan cheese. Yum! Thanx!
I would give this recipe 10 stars if I could! Absolutely divine! DH and picky, 7 year old DD loved it, too. DD said she could live on it! The only changes I made were adding about 1/4 c breadcrumbs and a tiny bit of smokey Monterey Jack cheese on top. The breadcrumbs gave it a nice little crunchy top. Will definitely make this again and again and again! Thanks for a terrific recipe!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a wife & mother of 2 great boys (9 and 3). When I get a chance I love to read, but that usually only occurs on vacation! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">