Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is crispy and soft at the same time. Experiment with the mushrooms and maybe add some bitey Asiago or Parmesan cheese (I can't). Great with a big, crunchy salad.
- 2 lbs potatoes, shredded
- 1 yellow onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt (this replaces table salt, so add salt if you are using celery seed)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke bottoms, sliced (in water)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients. Spray-coat a non-stick large skillet liberally, heat and spoon in potato mixture--spreading it out even and flat.
- Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes (should be well-browned on the bottom).
- Use a cookie sheet to flip out the pancake, re-spray pan and re-add the pancake-- raw side down. Cook another 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using olive oil, saute the mushrooms, garlic and fresh thyme. Cook until tender. Remove from the heat, add the artichokes and season.
- When the pancake has cooked on both sides, place it on a sprayed cookie sheet and spoon the mushrooms on top and bake for 10-12 minutes (until hot throughout).
- Slice and garnish with toasted nuts and (soy)sour cream.
We recommend serving this along with something else. It wasn't very filling on it's own.
I had fun making this dish. I used a cookie sheet (without sides) to flip the potato cake. I think the toppings could be endless. I followed your recipe and added more onions to the mushroom and a blend of cheeses, cheddar mozzerlla and asiago. Will be making this again. I think im going to try eggs benni on top next time.Thanks for posting!
If you're looking for something different this is it. This recipe is worth 5 stars for the potato cake base alone. The unusual combination of the topping ingredients is the 'icing' on this particular cake :-) This recipe is special enough to serve to friends, but easy enough to give your family a treat! PS I served this with vegan sour cream using Dancer^'s recipe #33780).