Risotto - Shrimp and Wild Mushroom
photo by Maureen in MA
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, small and thawed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, grated
- Toss shrimp with 1/2 tsp marjoram, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add shrimp, cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to pan and cook 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Add butter, onion, garlic, remaining marjoram, salt and pepper to pan and cook till tender 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small pot bring broth and turmeric to boil, remove from heat and cover with lid to keep hot.
- Add wine to rice mixture, stirring constantly until wine is absorbed 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of hot broth at a time, until almost all liquid is absorbed.
- Rice should be tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Add peas, shrimp and mushrooms to last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and sir in cheese, sprinkle with parsley and lemon zest-- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was wonderful risotto!! My family devoured it and gave it 2 huge thumbs up. I made this as written and it turned out creamy, cheesy and oh so delicious. I had to add a little extra olive oil to brown the mushrooms in, but all cooking times were right on. I would be proud to serve this dish to company. Thank you BK, for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for AUS/NZ swap*
This recipe was just good for hubby and me. Used only 1 lb of shrimp...this was plenty. Did not have Marjoram on hand; substituted basil. Had to more than double the amount of chicken broth called for...recipe on back of arborio rice bag called for 4-5 cups of liquid and was more accurate. Came out a tad too salty for our tastes (possibly because of extra chicken broth).
My husband and I made this together for his lunches last week. He is obsessed with shrimp fried rice, but I wanted him to get out of his box a little...so we chose risotto. He loved it! It was nice to make, the directions are very good. I found that I had to add a bit more liquid, almost 6 extra ounces. I may not have measured the rice as accurately. Great recipe!
I just made this and all I can say is, "fabulous!". There was a bit of prep time, would have been less if I figured out the problem with my food processor sooner :) I added scallops, left out the turmeric (my husband doesn't care for it) and also added garlic salt. Simply delicious, beautiful presentation and impressive to serve.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a very lucky lady. I recently moved to a very small town in New Brunswick, Canada with my wonderful husband who is my best friend. Very fortunate to have a cherished son, wonderful daughter in law and adorable granddaughter and cute wee grandson. We are very blessed. A big thank you to everyone that has made my recipes... hope you enjoyed them.