Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I adapted this recipe from a similar one in The South Beach Diet Cookbook. Even though it has no white flour and isn't very sweet, my family liked it.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats (not instant or quick)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄4 cup milk (optional)
- Mix oats and buttermilk. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking oil.
- Place whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and Splenda in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Stir in walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix together egg, canola oil, and molasses. Add this mixture to flour mixture and stir well. The batter will be very thick. If it's too thick, add 1/4 cup milk.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before turning muffins out of pan.
These were awesome! Subbed a little extra molasses for the splenda and skipped the walnuts because I didn't have any. Easy to make and tons of flavor. Thanks so much!