Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Modified "Wholemeal Scones"
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cold
- 1 cup rolled oats, toasted (old fashioned)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a large baking sheet (I use parchment paper).
- Dice the butter. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the butter and rub inches Set aside. In another bowl whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Set aside 2 tablespoons for glazing.
- Stir the remaining egg mixture into the dry ingredients to form a dough. Stir in the currants.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 3/4 inch thick. Stamp out rounds with a floured cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the reserved egg mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Leve to cool slightly before serving.
delicious, flaky and layered. i used dried spiced cherries instead of currants and it turned out perfectly. also works with gluten free flour