Recipe by Sydney Mike
Found this recipe in the As You Like It Cookbook, 2001, & am posting it here along with its non-vegan counterpart!
Top Review by LifeIsGood
What a great recipe. I liked this better than regular French toast! I do recommend soaking the bread for less time. When I did it for the full 30 seconds, the bread was still a bit soggy in the middle after the outside was completely cooked and ready. Note - this could be because of the bread I used.? When soaking for less time, the French toast turned out perfect and crispy. I LOVE the flour method. It really creates a crispiness. The flavor is excellent, too. Yum!
- 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, sliced thick
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Put soy milk, & cornstarch in a blender & mix well.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon & salt, blending until smooth, then pour into a shallow bowl & set aside.
- Put the unbleached white flour in another shallow bowl & set aside.
- Put canola oil in a large frying pan & heat over medium heat.
- Soak each slice of bread in the soy milk mixture for about 30 seconds, then dip each slice in the white flour, being sure to coat both sides before place each slice in the heated pan.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom is brown, then using a spatula, turn the each slice of bread over & cook the other side another 3 minutes.
- Serve quickly, drizzled with syrup.