Vegan Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
- Ready In:
- 1 cup soymilk (or 1 cup other diary-free milk)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup drained soft silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and thinkly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine the soy milk, applesauce, tofu, 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, and the connamon ina food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a large, shallow bowl and dip in the bread, coating both sides evenly with the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degreesF. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the prepared bread in batches and cook until just browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Keep the cooked French toast warm in the oven whileyou prepare the remaining slices.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon corn oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the apple slices, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Spoon the topping over the French toast and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Although I'm not into using soy/tofu big time, I wanted to make this to see how it would work out 'cause I have a son & DIL who are vegetarian! I was happy with the flavor, but did add a bit of warmed applesauce to the topping! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hello to All! <br />Thank you for taking the time to visit my site. I hope that you will try some of my recipes. Be assurred that I make and eat the ones I have posted. I am very interested in seeing your ratings and reading your feedback. <br />Experimenting with new recipes is one of my favorite pasttimes. I follow an almost vegetarian diet. I eat fish but really not much meat anymore. <br />I am in my mid-50s and lead a very active lifestyle: horseback riding, running, and strength training. I feel terrific and I give lots of credit to healthy eating. <br />This community is an inspiration to me! It is the first place I will go for online recipes because the feedback is so helpful. I search it for new recipes almost every day. <br />My recipes will be mostly the lower fat, moderate sugar, and vegetarian style of cooking. I'd say there a bit unusual in some aspects :) <br />I hope you like my postings. Your honest feedback and suggestions will be appreciated. <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p>