Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A mellow, creamy, elegant chili. The long cooking time gives the beans a buttery soft texture.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian chicken flavored broth mix
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- In Dutch oven saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add in all other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Also great to do in crockpot all day long.
I made this tonight. It was easy and good. I used fewer beans (65 ounces instead of 90 ounces). I think there is a mistake with the amount of broth. I just poured it in until it was the right consistency. I also added a couple of potatoes. Other than that I made it exactly as written. I loved it! I have recently decided to lean toward a vegetarian diet--so recipes like this are wonderful finds. Thank you for posting.
I am not giving this recipe any stars due to an error on my part. I don't know why I thought it used 2 cans of beans rather than 6! After having 2 cloves garlic, 3/4 cup onion, and 2 cans soup in the pot I realized my error, but didn't have anymore beans. So I then used 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 can green chilis and about 1/16 tsp liquid smoke. I simmered for about 2 hours and tasted it and at that time added about 1/2 tsp ground cumin and a bit of salt and pepper. I cooked it the additional hour as the recipe stated and it resulted it a very nice thick vegetarian chili. It was enough for my husband and I to have for a meal with no leftovers. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Linorama!
This is a really yummy soup, and it's easy to throw together. I only simmered it for 2 hours, rather than 3, and the results were still creamy and smooth. Thanks!