Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
This recipe comes from the South Beach Diet Cookbook. It has become one of my go to phase 1 recipes. Filling and easy to make.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard or 1 1⁄2 lbs escarole or 1 1⁄2 lbs beet leaves or 1 1⁄2 lbs kale, etc.... trimmed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the greens and cook for 7 minutes, or until barely tender. Coarsely chop greens prior to cooking if desired.
- Drain the greens, squeezing out as much water as possible. Can be done several hours ahead of making the soup.
- Bring the broth to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and greens.
- Add beans. (If using canned beans, drain and rinse first).
- Simmer gently, partially covered for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Grated Parmesan Cheese and Pepper Flakes for garnish.