Recipe by CarolAT
This is a warm and hearty chicken chili that is made in a slow-cooker. Sara Lee Chef Catherine DeOrio shared this recipe on the Today show and it looked perfect to have on a cold wintry night. She served this chili in a sour dough bread bowl.
Top Review by NurseJaney
This was REALLY good ! I used white canelloni beans, just drained - since instructions did not say to rinse; Used red and green peppers, since that was what was frozen from last summer's garden; made a BIG crockpot full - needing no additional seasoning. I used the white wine to deglaze the pan after browning the chicken. I added just 2 TBSP cornstarch and 1 cup water to thicken slightly, but consistency was excellent. My only suggestion would be to list ingredients in order used, since it was a fairly long list, and several steps. Thanks Carol, for another chili recipe for winter nights.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans
- 10 ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (4 ounce) can roasted green chilies, peeled and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-heat. Add onions, garlic, coriander, cumin and oregano. Sauté until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add red peppers and sauté for 2 more minutes. Empty contents of skillet into slow cooker.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet (working in batches if necessary) and cook until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add wine, chicken stock, green chilies, beans and white pepper to slow cooker and turn on to low. Cook for 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker.
- Add cream, salt, and turkey sausage, turn cooking setting to high and remove lid or leave lid slightly ajar to let moisture escape. Cook until sauce is thickened, about 30-45 minutes.
- If a thicker chili is desired: Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water or stock for each cup of liquid. Add to slow cooker and mix. Allow sauce to thicken before serving.
- Serve in bread bowl and top with favorite garnishes.
- Tip: If you like your chili extra spicy, add diced jalapeño and sauté with onions before adding to the slow cooker.