Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If wheat berries are unavailable, you can use bulgur, which will cook in only 40 minutes.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 4 cups water or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon cajun spices
- Place the wheat berries in a large bowl. Cover with at least 6 cups cold water. Set aside to soak for at least 4 hours. Drain and place in a large non stick saucepan.
- Add the water or stock to the pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes or till the berries are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Very different kind of hearty soup! Made as directed with wheat berries. Thanks, nemokitty! Made for Make My Recipe tag game.