Autumn Butternut Squash and Wheat Berry Salad
photo by palousebrand
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups hard red winter wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- zest of one large orange
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and add wheat berries. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until soft, about 45-50 minutes and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss the squash with 1 tablespoons olive oil, place on a baking sheet and roast for approximately 20-30 minute Cool on paper towel to soak up any extra olive oil.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette. Mix orange zest, orange juice, 1 tablespoons olive oil and syrup together.
- In large bowl combine wheat berries, roasted squash, vinaigrette, parsley and cranberries. Cool down in refrigerator – this may add a little to the total time.
- To serve, top with sliced almonds (optional).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We grow garbanzo beans, split peas, lentils & wheat berries. Non-GMO Verified & Kosher Parve straight from our fields to you. Now we are bringing you gourmet recipes featuring our products for more check out www.palousebrand.com.