Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This robust, satisfying sauce is wonderful on whole-wheat pasta. It's also fabulous spooned over a baked potato, couscous or barley. Add a delicious Parmesan-infused crumb topping to spaghetti recipes: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a small nonstick skillet. Add 1/3 cup of coarse whole-wheat bread crumbs. Cook on high heat for 1 minute, shaking skillet constantly, until crumbs are aromatic and slightly browned. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese and shake well to coat. Remove from heat and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of crumbs over each dish just before serving. (Adds 1 POINTS value per serving.)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups cooked whole wheat spaghetti, kept hot
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add ground beef to skillet.
- Cook, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and puree, salt, red pepper flakes and basil; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend and for sauce to thicken slightly; spoon sauce over spaghetti.
- Yields about 1/2 cup of spaghetti and 2/3 cup of sauce per serving. (Note: Refrigerate extra sauce for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.).
Someone please tell me how much is a serving...how to tell????? I made it and it was good but I had to guess and I don't like guessing.
I followed the recipe exactly and really enjoyed it. Was a little nervous about adding the carrots but found it to be rather nice. While wheat spaghetti is not my favorite either - if not overcooked it's OK and we all know much healther. As I'm alone most of the time, I divided this into 1 serving portions and froze so I can take out whenever I need a quick dinner - and only 5 points. Thanks helluvawoman for a very nice recipe that was easy to put together.