Recipe by PanNan
A quick way to serve a nutritious, but delicious meal.
Top Review by Daphne2002
Thank you so much! I'm always looking for new ways to use kidney beans, which I love but have so few uses for! This was wonderful! I didn't have cajun seasoning, so I made up my own from things I had in my cabinet such as seasoned salt, parsley, granulated garlic, white pepper, chili powder, and paprika. I *love* this recipe! This is going to be a wonderful, flavorful, fast and easy addition to our weeknights!
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw long grain rice (or brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or butter)
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or butter)
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 cans red beans (or kidney beans)
- salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbsp oil or butter in medium non-stick pan (that has a lid).
- Add rice and stir in the hot oil until most of the kernels are opaque.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- (If using brown rice, increase water and cooking time slightly) Meanwhile dice vegetables.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil or butter in a large non-stick pan or Dutch oven.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Saute until tender.
- Add the sliced turkey smoked sausage and saute until heated through and slightly browned.
- Add pepper, seasoning and bay leaf.
- Continue to stir and saute for about three minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and canned beans (do not drain).
- Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Simmer about 15 minutes, then remove bay leaf.
- Place about 3/4 cup rice in the bottom of a soup bowl.
- Cover with red bean mixture.
- Serve with French bread and pass more hot sauce.